Tuesday 10 October 2017

Sabrina has died

SHARE

I suspect Sir Oswald Mosley had Sabrina in mind when he said 'In or around 1955 the British discovered sex and instantly made it ridiculous'.


Philip Larkin thought we discovered sex later. 

Sexual intercourse began
In nineteen sixty-three 
(Which was rather late for me) -
Between the end of the "Chatterley" ban
And the Beatles' first LP.

In or around 1963  the world and England began to change out of recognition. From 1963 it was a few steps to joining the Common Market, out of town shopping centres, same sex
marriage and all the horrors of the modern age. Sabrina belonged to an era in British history when England was a very different, rather shabby, old-fashioned place, though the second biggest economy in the world. 

I know her from the Goon Show scripts. She was long before my time.

She was very famous for a few years solely for her 41 inch bust, which she insured for £100,000 at 
Lloyd’s of London. The underwriters excluded claims occasioned by civil war, invasion or nationalisation, according to the Telegraph obituary


Asked about her fame 44 years ago, she did not repine. “It made me a sex symbol, which I’m not,” she confessed, “And it made me a household name like Tide, which I am – a clean girl from the sticks. People seem to forget that I was at one time the junior breaststroke champion of Manchester.”
In 1958 Sabrina was awarded an honorary DLitt by the University of Leeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment